Period: July through September 2018
Subject: Installation, operation, and maintenance manual development for natural gas meter
Shea was contacted by Dresser Natural Gas Solutions, a leading provider of natural gas distribution, who had developed a new compact rotary meter with a digital index. At the same time, their common software platform was being updated to include support for this new meter, enabling users to communicate with the meter and configure it from their computer. Shea was brought on the project to create installation, operation, and maintenance manual for this new meter.
Working closely with their product development team and other subject matter experts (SMEs), Shea fulfilled Dresser’s needs with a comprehensive service approach, including:
- Quickly assessing the company’s template and branding requirements, evaluating their current documents and goals, and assembling a prototype.
- Developing templates for the documents designed to be used for this project as well as future projects to give their documents ease-of-use and consistency.
- Reviewing product requirements, design documents, and specifications to determine content to include.
- Performing work during product development and testing with the goal of having all work completed when the product was scheduled to be released.
- Updating the existing MeterWare software manual to include software updates and support for this new meter, including installing and working with the software.
- Performing scenarios, documenting the user experience, taking photos and screen captures, and gathering other information to develop content for the documents and provide feedback to the team the hardware and software design.
- Maintaining consistent, open communication with Dresser’s team to report on progress, gather information, and facilitate comment resolution meetings during the project.
- Working with their team to test the final delivery of the MeterWare Software Manual on the software media (USB drive).
Within three months of production, Shea developed templates and three manuals for the products in time for scheduled product release. The Installation Supplement was provided with the product in a printed booklet format. The MeterWare Software Manual was provided on the software media and available to the user from within the software. All manuals are also currently available on the product pages of the client’s web site, www.dresserngs.com.
The meter’s IOM Manual and the MeterWare Software Manual were recently submitted, with the client’s approval, to the STC Alliance Competition. The Installation, Operation, and Maintenance Manual received an Award of Excellence, and the MeterWare Software Manual received an Award of Merit.