Period: January 2018 through October 2019
Subject: Business Process Flows and Procedure Development for Real Estate Investor
A Texas-based Real Estate Investment Company with an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau had developed numerous business practices and methodologies for servicing their clients. These practices were communicated through on-the-job training and individually-written procedures, until the firm desired to consolidate this information for its employees.
Shea was contacted by the real estate firm to document their business model through division-specific flow diagrams, processes, and procedures to enable further scaling of their business, including the creation of franchise opportunities. The documentation suite was also intended to serve as the basis for training programs as the firm continued to grow.
To ensure that the firm’s envisioned documentation aligned with Shea’s process of interviewing and development, we began the project with a pilot phase. This phase captured high-level process flows to define a single division’s responsibilities for work, and produced a string of prototype documents that elaborated on the process flow.
At the conclusion of the pilot phase, Shea and the firm agreed to adapt the scope of work to produce four tiers of documentation, achieved through a production plan that included:
- Conducting a gap analysis of existing materials for refinement or repurposing within the new network of documentation.
- Identifying opportunities to record previously undefined practices and build job-enabling resources where information did not exist.
- Providing onsite Technical Writers to collaborate with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and gather information.
- Establishing a development chain that distributed tasks and information between onsite and offsite production members.
- Defining clear levels of authority and approval for each draft, comment resolution meetings, and final deliverables that included direct feedback from document users.
Shea mapped the business flows for four divisions of the client’s company and produced a system of processes, procedures, and work instructions to support their business model with defined, measurable actions. Unexpectedly, capturing this information helped support a lateral effort from the firm to design a software product for their market. The client has since launched this software and has been able to expand their franchise into the largest cities across the state.
Mapping the firm’s business processes established a focal point for new team members to learn, for experienced employees to share knowledge, and for managers to effectively assess and improve their system of practices. Their company’s success demonstrates how important it is for a company to maintain clearly recorded processes and procedures that streamline performance and empower their team members at every level of their business.