The Business Network for Offshore Wind (BNOW) is a nonprofit in the United States that helps members, businesses, and the entire country move towards using renewable energy. BNOW provides education, networking connections, tools, and more to make the transition to renewable energy beneficial for everyone. In this article, we’ll talk about the history of this extraordinary company, describe their mission, what they offer members, and explain how Shea Writing and Training Solutions can help your documentation transition with the industry.
The History of BNOW
For 10 years, experts at BNOW have been working with offshore wind renewable energy, the supply chain, the government, and environmental agencies to advance collaboration in the energy industry. The organization started as a small group in 2013, focused on building connections in Maryland after the state passed the offshore wind bill and the U.S. government debuted the first offshore wind lease auction.
In the years after, BNOW:
- Hosted the first International Offshore Wind Partnering Forum in Baltimore and the first offshore wind tour in Europe, Floating Frontiers.
- Expanded outside the state of Maryland.
- Published the annual U.S. Offshore Wind Market Report.
- Co-hosted the California Offshore Wind Symposium.
- Launched the OSW Market Dashboard and various training opportunities.
This decade of work has helped businesses take advantage of new and expanding production opportunities in the offshore wind energy, adapt to the fast evolving industry, and plan for the future.
What Does the BNOW Do?
As offshore wind experts, BNOW trains, networks, and educates the government and industry companies to:
- Create jobs.
- Sustain employment.
- Stimulate local economies.
- Focus on cost effective solutions.
- Develop a clean energy portfolio.
Based in Maine, Rhode Island, Maryland, and Virginia, BNOW offers webinars, training solutions, , industry reports, and networking to members. Within these states, the nonprofit works to help businesses enter or advance within the industry by providing events including:
- Offshore Wind 101 Industry Overview: An hour-long webinar that serves as an introduction to the industry and covers operations, supply chain, and next steps for companies.
- Offshore Wind Ready Industry Education for Businesses: A one-day event to learn about opportunities within the industry and the resources available to companies.
- Foundation 2 Blade Industry Training: A three-day offshore wind training program for underrepresented companies within specific states. Offered a few times a year, helps businesses take advanced routes to success in the industry.
- Floating Foundation 2 Blade Industry Training: A multi-day training program for businesses focusing on floating offshore wind.
BNOW’s Port & Vessel Summit is also on the horizon. Scheduled for September 21-22, 2023, in New Orleans, Louisiana, this event will focus on business opportunities in port and vessel within the offshore wind energy industry.
The International Offshore Wind Partnering Forum (IPF) annual conference, scheduled for April 2024, is another major BNOW event that connects those within the industry with workshops and networking opportunities.
As a member of BNOW, some benefits include:
- Discounts to events, training, and exhibitions, including the IPF
- Industry introductions
- Business referrals
- Opportunities to co-host or sponsor events
- Invitations to member-only events and webinars
- Access to the BNOW newsletter
- Access to white papers, data searches, and policy reports
Which Companies Can Benefit From Working With BNOW?
Companies can also benefit from offshore wind energy and the training and education BNOW offers. A few examples of businesses that can take advantage of BNOW’s resources in this rapidly expanding industry:
- Steel fabrication
- Environmental surveying
- Marine engineering
- Legal and financial services
- Project management
- Information technology
- Marine engineering
- Sea transportation
Did you know that Shea Writing and Training Solutions is a member of BNOW? We, like BNOW, are committed to helping businesses enter and succeed in the offshore wind industry. Our team of technical writers help companies develop documentation for planning projects, safety programs, employee handbooks, procedures, operations, manuals, and more.
Shea Writing and Training Solutions is your strategic procedure writing partner whether you’re deciding to newly enter the industry or want to advance your current progress. Discover what we can do for you here and get in touch with us!