A Checklist for Using Lists
- Use only comparable items and use parallel structure.
- List only words, phrases, or short sentences of the same general length.
- Provide context by introducing each list, typically with a complete sentence followed by a colon.
- Verify coherence by providing for adequate transition before and after a list.Use bullets, as opposed to numbers, when rank or sequence is not important.
- Do not overuse lists or include too many items, as in pages or presentation slides that contain only lists.
**from Gerald J. Alred’s Handbook of Technical Writing, 8th edition